Monday, March 3, 2014

Son of a Gun We'll Have Big Fun on the Bayou

Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday
So Today It's Time for
Mardi Gras Food!
Laissez les Bonne Temps Roulade!

I am a child of the mountains, growing up and spending most of my life in and around Appalachia.  Even in my times in the Midwest I enjoyed being near the foothills of the Ozarks.

But I've always loved New Orleans, just thinking about it makes me smile.  I love the Southern gothic architecture against the backdrop of joyful food, music, and a general festive nature of the population.  The mysticism of the city just makes you feel as if you are on an adventure whenever you are there.  As you know from reading this blog food is a part of my life and New Orleans food, or more specifically Creole, is near and dear to my heart.  There is just something about the fusion of flavors; spicy sausages, seafood, the crisp vegetables of the Holy Trinity sizzling in garlic and then all added to a roux and savory sauce over fluffy white rice.  Throw in a King Cake and you've got a great party!

Chicks dig guys who can make a roux!
I've written about New Orleans and my love of Cajun'/Creole cuisine many times:


And finally for Kat's Chain about a year ago I wrote about New Orleans and the holidays.  Nothing is hotter than being with your sweetie in the Big Easy!

But today I want to bring to you a bit of myself and my heritage.  I have also written that my family is from the deep South and I have spent much time down there.  My family is not from Louisiana but my Grandmother could have seen it across that great river from where she grew up.  She loved to cook and given her heritage, Creole was a natural cuisine for her.  I can still visualize seeing her in her kitchen over a stew pot and singing and talking to herself with a smile on her face throughout the day.

So with that in mind, here's to you Grandma' and here's

the Beaumont Family Shrimp Creole Recipe:

Ingredients:

1 Tbs         Shortening (I love this scene from "the Help."  It doesn't really fit here but I like it)
1 Tbs         Flour
1                Onion, chopped
1                Garlic Clove, chopped
2 Stalks      Celery
1 Lg Can    Tomatoes
2                 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp        Thyme
1/2 tsp        Salt      
2 Dashes    Tobasco (more if you are hot blooded)
2 tsp           Worchestershire Sauce
1                Green Pepper, chopped
2 lbs           Shrimp
1 Cup        White Rice

The secret to good shrimp!
*   In large stockpot heat and liquefy shortening.  Slowly stir flour into shortening and whisk until completely combined into a pasty roux and brown.  Add chopped onions, garlic, green pepper, and celery to roux and brown on medium heat.  Be careful not to scorch the roux!  Add tomatoes and spices and stir.  Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
*    Bring about 1 gallon of water to a boil (should be enough to cover shrimp).  Add 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of black pepper, and 1 tsp of white pepper and stir into boiling water.  Add 1 bag of Zatarain's Crab Boil seasoning into water and let steep for about 5 minutes.  Drop Shrimp into boiling water for 5-8 minutes or until skin begins to turn pink. (do not overcook).
*   Add shrimp to Creole and let simmer for another 1/2 hour.
*   Serve over White Rice with Garlic Bread.
*   And for dessert?   Bread pudding with a nice Bourbon Sauce!

Ahhhhh!  Thibodeaux Fountaineaux the place is buzzin'!














1 comment:

Simplicity said...

That sounds absolutely yummy!! Laissez les bon temps roulez! Happy Mardi Gras!